Beverley Town Bounce Back Beating Hull United

Beverley Town Bounce Back Beating Hull United
Beverley Town Bounce Back Beating Hull United

praised the reaction of his side after Beverley Town produced a 4-1 win over Hull United in the .

Following their defeat to Reckitts AFC last week, Jagger was looking for a response from his players in this game, something they delivered.

Speaking after the game Jagger said;

“It was great to get a reaction like that from the lads today. I wouldn’t say we were at our absolute best, but we kept at it, played some good stuff at times and stayed patient.”

“I was pleased for Joe Baxter to score against his old club and thought Stu Oliver was solid again in midfield today.”

Town went into this game on the back of a heavy defeat to Reckitts, and were determined to put things right. Early exchanges saw the game largely battled out in the middle of the park butTown had the majority of possession without causing United too many problems.

Towns first effort of note came on 18 minutes as a Joe Baxter cross was met by Craig Muirhead, and whilst backpeddling, Muirhead’s header forced Keeper Robbins to tip over. Town continued to probe, and attack with purpose down the flanks, and was from a wide area that the deadlock was broken.

A driven low cross from the right was sent across the Hull United goal and with the ball bobbling around, it eventually found its way to Baxter on the left angle, who’s driven effort left the keeper rooted and via the inside of the far post nestled into the net against his former club!

Up to this point Town had probably just edged it in terms of possession and control, but Hull United were dangerous, particularly from the long ball. Twice they went close when Town failed to deal with the ball over the top, but luckily the opportunities came to nothing.

Town threatened again moments before the break, when Muirhead curled a free kick from 20 yards out narrowly past the post . United started the second period much better and six minutes after the restart they were level.

A nice turn away from two defenders from deep by Kerins saw the midfielder shoot the palms of the Beverley keeper from distance, who spilled the shot into the path of O’Malley who slotted home from close range.

The equaliser invigorated Hull United, but the optimism was short lived as within four minutes Beverley restored their advantage.

United failed to cut out a surging run downfield, and a resulting effort on goal from Joe Norton squirmed under the body of keeper Robbins and into the net.

Town were now in the ascendancy, and playing with more control.

A couple of shots at the keeper flew narrowly over in quick succession and it only seemed a matter of time before town would add another goal to their tally.

Town attacked down the flank again, and with United appealing for offside, the referee waved play on, and Muirhead was allowed to tap home at the far post with Hull United failing to respond.

Hull United pushed hard for the last ten minutes to try and get something from the game, and on 84 minutes this left them exposed. A fine run by Karl Fitzgerald was matched by Joe Norton, who’s timed his run perfectly to slot home from 8 yards out after a devastating attack on the break.

Final Score: 4 Hull United 1

Click Here
Beverley Grammar School Wins National Award for Performance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *