East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Walking for Health Scheme have joined forces with Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust Cancer Survivorship Team to create a fantastic new evening walk.
The walks will take place every Monday starting 30 June from Beverley Leisure Centre at 6. 30pm. There’ll be an option of doing a 30-minute walk or a slightly longer one-hour walk. Afterwards, there will be free refreshments and a chance to socialise.
Walking for Health is a national scheme targeted at getting individuals of all ages and abilities much more active, especially those who do very little exercise or those people who are recovering from an illness or injury. It’s an effective way of getting out and exploring your local area and interacting with new people.
“The walk is a great way of undertaking some activity in a safe and sound environment. Regardless if you are a keen walker or just returning into it, everyone is welcome to come along.
“It is a great social occasion and a pretty good chance to meet up with lots of new people. We hope people in East Riding, and Hull will join us for a walk, so they can also experience the many benefits of being active.”
The walk is free, and no specialist equipment is required. All are welcome to attend the walk, whether you are a cancer survivor or not. No need to book, please just turn up 15 minutes before the start of the walk.
Steve Kingdom, Walk leader and Cancer survivor says:
“I am really getting excited about getting the walk up and running. We have a lot of cancer survivors who’d not manage a normal ‘longer’ walk but, within the confines of a group and, at their own pace, they are looking forward to being able to get out and about.
“We are all really looking forward to this. We are all aware of the enormous effort that it would be for some to do the walking at this stage of their recovery; anything that gets people active has got to be a good thing.”
East Riding Walking for Health welcomes new walkers throughout the year. Over 60 walks take place each month starting from a variety of locations around East Riding of Yorkshire. If you would like to walk with any of East Riding’s Walking for Health groups or train as a Walking for Health Volunteer Walk Leader, please contact the Scheme Co-coordinator, Laura Hutchinson, (01482) 392527.
- East Riding College Celebrates Colleges Week By Launching New Institute Of Technology
- Research Shows Public Support For Re-Use Shops At Recycling Centres
- Beat The ‘Dead-Line’ And Haunt The Archives With A Chilling Tale
- Boss Goes Back To School To Help Beverley Students Plan Their Careers
- ERT To Release Lee Hall’s Heart-wrenching And Heart-Warming Play
- Friends Pull Together To Help Fund Life Changing Operation For Toddler
- OUT & ABOUT : Timber Trade Benevolent Society Fund Raising Meal
- Beaver Pub Open Mic Night Makes Over £250 For J9 Foundation
- Beverley Now Has The X Factor After A Celebrity Launch Of New Gastro Pub The Potting Shed
- Royal Welcome for Green Ginger Morris Men