Cranswick Secure 4-2 Victory on Penalties

Beverley took a break from league duty to take on a youthful Cranswick team in the East Riding Senior Cup.

Both Teams started brightly, but it was Town who took control of possession, passing the ball well and creating numerous chances.  Left back Eddie Rafton and winger Michael O`Connell were causing major problems down the left flank, linking up well and overlapping on numerous occasions.  This lead to a number of Beverley corners, which were dealt with well by the Cranswick rear guard.

Despite enjoying total domination, Town were threatened by the occasional break away from a lively Cranswick attack, and its was Towns rock between the post, Jonny Kershaw, who came to  their rescue with a fine save at the feet of Cranswick striker.

Midfield dynamo Jon Ricardo was enjoying a good battle with the young Cranswick midfielder, and it was some good work by Ricardo that lead to Towns opening goal.  After winning a full bloodied tackle he calmly slotted the ball out wide to on the right wing.  Birch dribbled past the full back and pulled the ball back from the bye line into the feet of .  Lamplugh, with the strength of a bull, held off the defender, swivelled and hit the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the goal from 8 yards out.  Further chances came and went but Cranswick held out and were glad to get to half time only one nil down.

Cranswick came out for the second half with renewed vigour.  The tempo of their play had stepped up s gear and they started to threaten Town much more than they did in the first half.  After a series of attacks the equaliser came on 60 minutes after good work by the Cranswick midfielder.  The number 8`s penetrating run into the box managed to drah the town defence out of position, and the subsequent squared ball was intercepted by Eddie Rafton, who under pressure from the striker turned the ball into his own net.

The game then settled into a period of stalemate.  Mathew Dixon in midfield worked hard to get a hold of the ball, but noth teams seemed to cancel each other out.  Town manager Dave Walton freshened things up on 75 minutes by introducing the talisman up front, and this move soon paid off.  Once again after some good work down the right the ball broke to Symes on the edge of the six yard box, he calmly swivelled and slotted the ball through the legs of the onrushing Leon Sewell in the Cranswick goal.  With only 10 minutes remaining Town were certain they could see the game through for a victory, unfortunately this was not the case.  With only 30 seconds left on the clock Town conceded a free kick on the half way line.

Keeper Sewell launched a high ball into the penalty box which was flicked on by the cranswick captain, and the ball fell kindly to his team mate on the penalty spot.  With the ball bouncing up around waist high, the striker clearly handled the ball to bring it under control before firing the equaliser past keeper Kershaw in the Beverley net.  Despite protests from Towns players, neither the referee or he linesman spotted the infringement and the goal stood.

The final whistle came 10 seconds later and town were deflated, but ready to pick themselves up for extra time.  However after much deliberation the officials decided there was not enough light left to complete 30 minutes extra time, and therefore decided it was straight to penalties.
Craig Lamplugh calmly slotted past Sewell in the Cranswick goal to take the lead, and Cranswick scored with equal ease to make it 1-1.  However both Rich Jagger and Eddie Birch missed their penalties for Town, before Michael O`Connell scored, and with Cranswick clinical in their finishing, converting every spot kick, the game was over as Cranswick secured a 4-2 victory on penalties.

Town were disappointed to lose the game, as on reflection they were marginally the better side, but must pick themselves up for the visit of Rangers reserves at Norwood park on Saturday, Kick Off 2pm. Picture Gallery: Click on the thumbnail picture below to enlarge the image to full size Picture Gallery: Click on the thumbnail picture below to enlarge the image to full size

More From

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *