Blue & Golds Dumped Out Of Challenge Cup In Opening Round

Blue & Golds Dumped Out Of Challenge Cup In Opening Round
Blue & Golds Dumped Out Of Challenge Cup In Opening Round

ARLC were dumped out of the Challenge Cup as they were well beaten on the road by 42-4 by York Acorn.

For Beverley, this was always going to be a big ask and certainly a major task as their first competitive game of the new season.

This was the first hit out of the season and Head Coach Scott Taylor still at the experimental stage put his faith in youth.

Will Wallis and Lewis Miller lined up at centre and wing respectively with Bradley Kirkby also lining up at prop to add another teenager to the starting line up. There was also a debut for the vastly experienced Jordan Precious.

The youth policy appeared to be working up until 30 minutes of this tie as the visitors led 4-0 and looked good value for their lead.

Some resolute defending did well to keep the home side out in the opening exchanges as Acorn went in for the kill very early on.

who was Beverley’s man of the match did well on one occasion to turn his opponent on his back when a try seemed certain.

Having withstood the early onslaught the visitors began to grow in confidence in attack. Half-backs Poskitt and Straw demonstrated some of their future potentials as they looked to create openings.

The deadlock was broken in the 17th minute as Lewis Straw’s delicate kick into the in-goal area saw Luke Shaw pounce to score. The extras were not added.

The hosts got on level terms in the 32nd minute as a dangerous kick towards the corner was not dealt with and Lewis Brown pounced to score.

Similarly, another kick towards the corner bounced awkwardly and Ryan Gallacher crossed. Shortly before the break, the ball was moved towards the left and Callum Worthington crossed. Acorn headed for the break 14-4 up.

The first 20 minutes of the second half saw the home side add a further 4 tries as they demonstrated their experience and higher league position, Jake Callum, Joe Budd, Callum Worthington and Jordan Potter all crossed.

Most of the play took place in the Beverley half of the field during this time but the visitors rallied a little in the last 20 minutes. Lewis Miller was put in the clear from deep. He chipped ahead and regathered and was pulled up short. Beverley were unable to exploit the field position.

Tom Hill added a further score for the hosts in the 76th minute which was converted to stretch the score to 42-4.

This was certainly a useful ‘blowing away of the cobwebs’ and Scott Taylor will know the standards his side will have to aspire to if they wish to climb the leagues in future years.

Taylor could not have asked for more effort from his forwards as they battled against a weighty opposing pack.

Alex Calvert, Jack Howdle, Joe Morley and Bradley Kirkby can all take credit for some hard work.

The blue and golds will next be in action when they take on away in a pre-season friendly on 16 February.

Final Score: York Acorn 42 Beverley ARLC 4 | Reported by Nick Robinson

More From

This article has 1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *