The World Barge Pulling Championships will take place on Beverley Beck at 11AM on Sunday the 23 September.
Organised by the Beverley Barge Preservation Society in association with Teamac, we strive to build on the success of previous years.
A spokesperson for the society explained more, they said;
“The excitement mounts, as teams of four, comprised of men, women, or both, pull the barge ‘Syntan’ weighing in at 64 tons a distance of 200 metres.”
“They try to do this in the fastest possible time. Sounds hard, but once she’s moving…. The current world record is set at 5 minutes 15 seconds.”
“All competitors are rewarded with a specially designed medallion.”
“The winning team receives a championship cup and share a £200 cash prize. A perpetual trophy will be engraved with the name of the winning team and held aboard ‘Syntan’ until the 2019 championships.”
“Throughout the day, entertainment will be provided with music, stalls, a bar, tea and coffee.
“There will also be a duck race and raffle, with a chance to win a boat trip for 12 people, worth £300.
So, come and visit the Beck, and enjoy a fantastic fun day.”
- East Riding College Celebrates Colleges Week By Launching New Institute Of Technology
- Research Shows Public Support For Re-Use Shops At Recycling Centres
- Beat The ‘Dead-Line’ And Haunt The Archives With A Chilling Tale
- Boss Goes Back To School To Help Beverley Students Plan Their Careers
- ERT To Release Lee Hall’s Heart-wrenching And Heart-Warming Play