The new campaign, launched by tourism partnership Visit Hull & East Yorkshire (VHEY), started in August 2015, with the aim of putting the town firmly on the map as a must visit destination and provide local businesses with the opportunity to boost trade through increased footfall.
The campaign allows coach operators to book trips to the town in advance via the VHEY website, with each booking providing a comprehensive visitor package that includes:
• Free parking in a dedicated car park
• A meet and greet service
• Welcome bags for passengers that include a discount vouchers booklet with savings in shops, cafes and restaurants, a Beverley guide, a Beverley Map, a pen and postcard (one per booking)
• Driver welcome bag, which includes an £8 meal voucher to be redeemed in a participating venue, a drinking beaker, a key ring and a pen
• An opportunity for arranged tours or guided walks
• Facility to pre-book group coffee breaks or lunches.
The campaign has been shortlisted in two categories, Coach Friendly Destination of the Year, sponsored by My Day Out, and Coach Tourism Innovation of the Year, sponsored by Eurotunnel Le Shuttle.
Councillor Jane Evison, cabinet portfolio holder for economic investment and tourism at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said:
“It is very exciting news that VHEY’s coach campaign has been shortlisted for two national awards. It is always pleasing when work to promote tourism is recognised by the industry.”
“This campaign is aimed at bringing new coach operators and their customers to Beverley, as well as providing a better service for those coach operators and customers already visiting the town.”
“It is anticipated that this campaign will attract many more coach parties over the course of this year, with the aim of securing return visits and overnight stays in the town and thereby create favourable trading conditions for businesses to maximise on.”
Winners will be announced at an awards ceremony at the Vox, Resorts World, NEC Birmingham on Wednesday, 16 March.