Blue & Golds Tame Tigers To Reach Semi Final


ARLC progressed to the semi-finals of the Tom Beautiman Cup last Saturday in rain-soaked conditions at the Leisure Centre.

They have been drawn at home to Three Tuns in what will be a big attraction at the Leisure Centre at a date yet to be confirmed.

Conditions were always going to be a major factor in this cup-tie, which saw the hosts with some notable players missing.

Free-scoring Glen Anfield, centre Craig Morfitt and who has still recovered not from his injury were all unavailable. However, it presented opportunities to players who have been missing out in recent weeks. Billy Riby was moved into stand-off half, and Joe Wileman was given a start at prop-forward.

 kicked off, immediately forcing a handling error from . The resultant set of six saw them go over for a try to take a shock early lead with an unconverted try. The hosts gradually forced their way into the game and a spell of sustained pressure in the 20 meter zone saw force his way over wide out in typical style.

The exras were added and the home side continued to press, and ’s kicking game continued to cause the visitors problems. lost the ball over their own line, and pounced on the loose ball to score and convert his own try.

More of the game was now been played in the half, and a very rare scrum win against the feed the saw a set of six end with ’s offload finding Adam Robson, who finished in the corner. The conversion went wide but were now reveling in the wet conditions after getting over their early handling problems. Adam Robson was unlucky to lose the ball in the act of scoring, but made no mistake with a try that was improved on the stroke of half-time led 22-4 at the break.

The home side came out for the second half eager to finish the job off. Early defensive pressure by saw the Tigers lose possession close to their own line.

Hubbard pounced for his hat-trick. Some impressive handling in the wet by the home side then saw the ball shipped to the left for Daryl Gregory to score in he corner. Another touchline conversion followed.

 pulled back a try shortly after, but it was to be brief respite. looked do dominant in the pack and a determined break saw him send Louis Hubbaard over for his fourth try before another break by Howdle sent over.

Howdle converted both scores. The game was held up for what later proved thankfully to be not such a serious injury to a Cottingham player as was first though judging by the level of pain he appeared to be in.

When play resumed man of the match, Adam Robson scored to round off a strong performance by himself. Robson supported well in attack and was rock solid in defence snuffing out any threats that a plucky Cottingham outfit could muster.

All in all, it was a pleasing performance which saw some players that have been on the fringes of selection this season get some game time, which should maintain healthy competition for places.

Beverley return to league action this Saturday where they are away to . Kick-off is 2pm at the Eastmount Recreation Centre,Longhill.

Final Score: 52 10 | Reported by

More From

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *