The evening, hosted by cadets from the squadron, is an annual event held to thank all involved for their contribution to the Squadron, as well as give parents an insight into cadet activities. It is also an opportunity for Sqn. staff to award cadets for their achievements.
The occasion, attended by cadets, staff, parents and members the squadron’s civilian committee; started with a continuity drill display followed by cadet presentations on the various activities undertaken by cadets. This year the cadets chose to include Swimming, Aircraft recognition, Duke of Edinburgh expedition training, Flying/Gliding and Radio operations.
Presentations were also made to the following cadets:-
- Cpl. J. Newton for best NCO
- Cdt. J. Bates for best cadet
- Sgt. Z. Meakin for squadron marksperson
- Cpl. R. Knight for endeavour
- Cdt. V. Scruton for best sportsperson
- Cdt. L. Clayton for best turnout
Cpl. J. Newton, Cdt J. Bates & Cdt V. Scruton also received swimming medals for their wing and regional efforts and a certificate of merit was also awarded to Mr Derek Alden, former chair of the Civilian Committee by way of a thank you for his hard work over many years.
Adult Sgt. Viki Walford, currently commanding 399 Sqn. said “I’m extremely proud of our cadets achievements this year. We have been a busy squadron in 2013 and the cadets successes was celebrated tonight”
The Air Training Corps exists to promote and encourage among young people a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force, provide training which will be useful in the services and civilian life and to foster the spirit of adventure and develop qualities of leadership and good citizenship.
399 Beverley Sqn. is part of the Central & East Yorks Wing of the Air Training Corps. Beverley Sqn. meets Monday and Thursday evenings from 7-30PM to 9-30PM in their hut which is located behind the tennis courts at Longcroft School in Beverley.
Potential new cadets are always welcome and parents or cadets who want to know more can visit the national site www.aircadets.org or telephone 399 Sqn on parade nights on 01482 880301.
- East Riding Theatre Links Up With Two Awarded Winners This November
- Local Recyclers Raise £9,000 For Dove House Hospice
- MP Reacts To East Riding And Hull’s Move To Tier 2 Of Coronavirus Restrictions
- East Riding To Move Into COVID-19 Local Alert Level 2
- Boss Shares Honour With Frontline Workers Who Put Community First