Fine Team Effort By Blue & Golds Secures Win Over Siddal

Fine Team Effort By Blue & Golds Secures Win Over Siddal

ARLC and Siddal fought out a classic fixture at the Beverley Leisure Centre last Saturday afternoon with the lead changing hands several times in a match which was a huge credit to the amateur game.

The match started with both defences on top, and it was seven minutes before the first chance came, which went to Beverley when a nice dab through hit the post, and Billy Riby touched the ball down only to be ruled off-side. Play then switched to the Beverley end and after a period of sustained Siddal pressure they finally scored in the left corner. The conversion found its mark, and Siddal held a six-point advantage.

Beverley were soon back on level terms when after 15 minutes, good handling saw off half Rose cut through for good try, which was converted by Josh Poskitt. Five minutes later, more quick hands saw Lewis Poskitt send a superb long ball to send his brother in at the left corner, however the difficult conversion was missed, but the home side led by 4 points.

Next it was Siddal’s turn to pressure the Beverley line, and they found a way through, which with the successful conversion put them into the lead by 2 points. After much sustained pressure by the home side the visitors’ defence finally cracked on the half hour mark when more good rugby saw winger Tom Shires hurtle in by the right corner flag, the kick failed and the home side led at the break by 14 points to 12 in what had been an enthralling first half.

Five minutes into the second-period Siddal were awarded a penalty, and from it scored what was a slightly scrappy try putting them two points in front. However, half way through the second half Beverley were awarded a penalty, and Josh Poskitt slotted the goal to bring the sides level again. At 16 points each it was all to play for. Then came the best try of the match as Jake Hart Fisher took possession of the ball from some 45 metres out broke the line and went in at the left corner Josh Poskitt added the extras, and Beverley led by six with 18 minutes to play.

The home side were then awarded a penalty which was missed, but it did not matter as a couple of minutes later Lewis Poskitt kicked a drop goal to make it a two score lead. It was then all hands to the pumps in defence for Beverley and they held out until the dying minutes of normal time before Siddal grabbed another try, which was un-converted. It was a tense few minutes before the referee brought proceedings to a halt with Beverley coming out on top in a magnificent game by 23 points to 20.

on his return to the side was awarded man of the match but in truth, it could have gone to any of the Beverley players in what was a fine team effort.

More From

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *