North Ferriby Athletic Beat Town In Humber Premier League

North Ferriby Athletic Beat Town In Humber Premier League
Athletic Beat Town In

Town Football Club went into this game on the back of an excellent 7-2 victory against Reckitts, but mindful of complacency against a competitive Ferriby side.

Town started very slowly, and this set the tone for much of the game. Straight from the kick off some poor play let the Ferriby striker in on goal, luckily for town his one on one with keeper Ollie Thane was dragged wide.

Town continued to struggle with sloppy passing and giving the ball away too easily, and Ferriby created some good chances on the back of this. None of them was converted and town felt relieved to get to the break at 0-0.

Town made a change at half time bringing Baxter on for Ben Fletcher in a tactical switch that gave Town a bit more balance down the left.

It was Ferriby that took the lead on 55 minutes, when a cross field ball to the back post was hammered into the back of Towns goal from the left hand side angle. A great strike that keeper Ollie Thane could do nothing about.

Town responded well and pushed hard to get back into the game. Ten minutes later Town were awarded a free kick about 25 yards from goal, on the right hand side of the pitch. Up stepped Michael O’Connell who drilled an absolute peach of free kick into the top corner of the goal, even though it went to the keepers side there was nothing he could do about it.

Town now had the bit between their teeth, Joe Baxter went close on two occasions, and saw a header bounce back off the bar. So it was a little against the run of play when Ferriby scored their second, a slight mix up at the back let the Ferriby striker in who calmly finished to make it 2-1 with 15 minutes to go.

Town now threw caution to the wind, with coming on, and also Big going up front in an attempt to cause problems.

Ferriby dealt really well the threat town posed, but with only seconds left on the clock town were to create one last chance.

A fine cross into the box by Michael O’Connell landed perfectly on the head of , who from close range saw his header glance agonisingly wide of the post. That was the last of the action and town went down to their third defeat of the season.

Manager spoke after the game, he said:

“I thought we started very slowly today and that set the tone for our play for most of the game. That said when Carney got the equaliser (what a strike by the way) we lifted our game a bit and thought we could go on and nick it.”

“Fair play to Ferriby though they never stopped and defended well at they end when they needed to.”

Final Score:  Athletic 2 Town Football Club 1 

Click Here
Beverley & East Riding Lawn Tennis Club Benefit From Commuted Sums Funding

More From

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *