Eleven libraries across the area have been provided with a Scrabble set and a games compendium with equipment and instructions for 30 games, including chess, draughts, ludo, snakes and ladders, Yahtzee, a pack of cards, dice and dice cup, dominoes, and Halma.
In addition, Games Groups at each library can bring in their own games if they wish. There is no need to book in advance for the free sessions – people can just drop in. The sessions are open to people of any age.
The libraries involved are :
• Anlaby library at East Riding Leisure Haltemprice :Tuesdays and Thursdays : 1pm-2pm
• Beverley : Saturdays : 10.30am – 11.30am
• Bridlington Central : Wednesdays : 2pm-4pm
• Driffield Centre: Mondays : 1.30pm – 3.30pm
• Goole : Fridays : 2pm-3pm
• Hessle Centre : Saturdays : 10am-12noon
• North Bridlington : Thursdays : 2pm-4pm
• North Ferriby : last Tuesday of the month : 10.30am – 11.30am
• Stamford Bridge : Tuesdays : 4pm-5pm
• Willerby : Thursdays : 2pm-4pm
• Withernsea Centre : Mondays : 2pm-4pm.
Councillor Richard Burton, portfolio holder for leisure, tourism and culture, said : “ Similar initiatives have been run very successfully in other parts of the country, and I am delighted that we have been able to add Games Groups to the long and varied list of services supplied by East Riding Libraries. I am sure they will prove very popular.”
Councillor Jane Evison, portfolio holder for transforming lifestyles, added:
“Loneliness can be a serious issue for a number of our residents, which in itself can damage people’s health & wellbeing. This new initiative hosted by our Libraries is a wonderful way of helping to address the issue & making a difference.”
- Free Parking Introduced To Support NHS And Other Frontline Workers
- Clarification On Pandemic Cover And Business Interruption Insurance
- East Riding Libraries Offer A Great Deal Online
- MP Welcomes Council Launch Of Official Community Response For Vulnerable Residents
- Buses Change In Response To Lockdown