Blue & Golds Get Back To Winning Ways As They Beat Rovers

Blue & Golds Get Back To Winning Ways As They Beat Rovers
Blue & Golds Get Back To Winning Ways As They Beat Rovers

kept their unbeaten league record intact but it was again very much put to the test by Woolston Rovers who came to the Beverley Leisure Centre in good form.

Rovers, who had won three on the bounce were determined to put a dent in Beverley’s title hopes, as they arrived with a robust pack on another hot afternoon that was about both sides toughing it out.

Crucially, the visitors failed to take advantage of Beverley going down to 12 men just before half time as Louis Hubbard spent ten minutes in the bin for a shoulder charge.

Indeed Beverley crossed twice for tries during this period. Director of Rugby Pat Howdle commenting that his side ahd to to grind it out and that it wasn’t pretty but that is two points nearer the title.

The Cheshire outfit had the better of the opening exchanges and their right winger almost scored when catching a cross-field kick. He was well policed by his opposite number and just put a foot in touch at the last moment.

Fresh on his return, then gave Beverley the lead with a typical dummy and a shimmy to score under the posts for Riby to convert after 13 minutes.

Following therestart kick went dead giving the visitors a dangerous attacking set which ended in them being pulled back for a forward pass. Moments later, Harry Files made no mistake when sneaking over from dummy half to score for Woolston and Will Chadwick to level things up with the kick.

There was then some missed chances for the hosts. Poskitt jinked his way through to send Sam Brown in clear only to have the pass ruled forward. Also Jack Howdle put Alex Starling through a gap only for the ball to come loose over the line.

Passions ran high towards the end of the half culminating in Hubbard’s sin-binning. Will Chadwick stroked over a penalty to put the visitors 8-6 up at the break.

Beverley started the second half eager to put things to bed. Quick hands to the left sent Sam Brown over in the corner. The extras were not added but shortly after ’s run then sent Lewis Poskitt over for his second. Bobby Howdle this time converting. With score at 16-8 the game became attritional.

In the 64th minute Josh Sudlow crossed for the visitors converted by Chadwick to set up a tense finish. Five minute from time, Tom Moor looked to have sealed the points for Beverley when sneaking over from dummy-half but the visitors had other ideas.

Cameron Davies crossed for try with injury time looming. The visitors forfeited the conversion attempt to save time but two minutes of stoppage time was not enough for them to force another score.

Man of the match was Bobby Howdle who set up one try worked himself to a standstill. It was a day for the forwards and the long serving Lee Stevens continues to play some of his best rugby for the club grinding out the hard yards.

Beverley will now face Clock Face Miners on Wednesday at 7.15PM at the Beverley Leisure Centre in a rearranged fixture.

Final Score : Beverley ARLC 22 Woolston Rovers 18 | Reported by Nick Robinson

More From

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *