Beavers Play Off Hopes Take Massive Blow After They Suffer Away Defeat

Beavers Play Off Hopes Take Massive Blow After They Suffer Away Defeat
Beavers Play Off Hopes Take Massive Blow After They Suffer Away Defeat

RUFC play off hopes by securing second place in the league were well and truly took a big knock as they were beaten in South Yorkshire by Wheatley Hills.

The Beavers knew that this was always going to be a tough game with the home side needing a win to stave off chances of relegation.

Wheatley Hills have a formidable set of forwards and looked to use their driving power at every opportunity. After just three minutes conceded their customary penalty which was duly converted by stand off Owen Gilvrey to give the home team a 3-0 lead.

A few minutes later another indiscretion by led to Raymond Coates being sent to the sin bin. From the resulting penalty the home team drove to the line and scrum Half Josh Taylor was on hand to score a try. Gilvey converted and soon after kicked another 3 points from another penalty to make the score 13-0.

Back at full strength began to get back into the game. It was apparent that possessed much more pace in the back line and they nearly used it to good effect but a try by Alex Hodgkinson was disallowed for a forward pass.

On 25 minutes however full Luke Hazell finished off a move with a 30m dash to the corner. From the resulting kick off scored what was probably the try of the season. Collecting the ball in their own 22 went the full length of the field in an attack that involved all the backs resulting in James Graham scoring. Phil Duboulay converted to reduce the deficit to 1 point.

Shortly after another move led to Hodkinson being tackled just short of the try line but the alert Alfie Hart-Fisher scooped the ball up and dived over in the corner to give Beverley a 4 point lead.

It looked as though Beverley were going to get on top but a further Wheatley Hills penalty on Half Time reduced that lead to 1 point.

The second half began, very much the same as the first with a further two home team penalties in the first 20 minutes made the score 22- 17 in their favour.

On 20 minutes Beverley took the lead when following sustained pressure scrum half Rob Wilhoite darted over from the base of the scrum. Duboulay duly coverting.

Ten minutes from time former Beverley player, prop Sam Kerry smashed his way 30m up the touch line past four defenders to score what would be the match winning score.

Beverley mustered a final assault on the home line, coming close on several occasions. When a penalty was awarded their way they opted for a 5m scrum. From it they drove the Wheatley Hills pack when as it looked as if Beverley would score the scrum collapsed. Much to the surprise of those watching the referee penalised Beverley and as a result the home side were cleverly able to keep the ball in their forwards and run down the clock.

It was an entertaining game but disappointing that once again Beverley gave away more penalties than the opposition. They really need to learn to play with the referee’s interpretation of the laws the game rather than in spite of it.

Final Score : Wheatley Hills 29 Beverley RUFC 24

More From

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *