Blue & Golds Beat Doncaster To Claim First Win Of New Season

Blue & Golds Beat Doncaster To Claim First Win Of New Season
Blue & Golds Beat Doncaster To Claim First Win Of New Season

The blue and golds clinched their first league points of the season in a penalty riddled encounter at the Leisure Centre last Saturday. Almost every technical offence appeared to prompt a blow of the whistle.

It was an important day off the field with club entertaining sponsors and Beverley did manage some well worked tries in between the stoppages to at least put on something of a show. Injuries to Billy Riby, Lewis and Josh Poskitt and the late withdrawal due to work of Ryan Anson forced Howdle to juggle the starting lineup. Lewis Campion started at full back, Ben Naylor on the wing, and Jack Humphries slotted into the halfs.

A relieved Director of Rugby could reflect on a first league victory of the season saying;

“We did what we wanted to do and came out of it with no injuries or sending-offs.”

A succession of penalties and a sin-binning for the visitors led to the opening score. Jack Humphries gave the money ball in a passing movement that sent Ben Bardle over in the corner for Lewis Straw to convert in the 10th minute. Sam Coleman added a second try after which Ryan Watkin almost added another as he was held up over the line. Alex Cavert made no mistake in the next play crashing over beside the posts.

Beverley continued to press but perhaps the stop-start nature of the game led to frustration, and they committed handling errors. On the half-hour mark, Lewis Campion was hauled down just short but Ethan Cambridge sneaked out of dummy half to steal an opportunist try in the corner. Straw converted all the first-half tries.

The remaining minutes of the half saw the visitors enjoy more possession and territory again aided by a string of penalties. Gavin Millward took advantage to score on the stroke of half time with extras added to pull the score back to 24-6.

The early moments of the second half saw more pressure from the home side. Alex Calvert made a clean break with Jack Humphries in support. Humphries got the pass, but his inside pass to his support went to ground. Doncaster and Adam Jones notched a try with extras added that reduced the arrears still further for Toll Bar to 24-12. The hosts were badly in need of a score, and Lewis Straw was there to provide it with a dummy and a step to score under the posts and convert himself.

Moments later, Straw’s towering bomb led to a mix-up in the Toll Bar defence, and Jack Humphries was on hand to touch down. Straw again converting. On the hour mark the match was put beyond all reasonable doubt as the classy Jack Humphries sold a dummy and streaked away to score. Another conversion made it 42-12.

The final quarter of the game became quite scrappy, and the home side were unable to go in for the kill. Their frustration showed with Steve Connolly sin-binned for a dangerous tackle and Chris Johnson supposedly sin-binned for backchat to the referee. The visitors took advantage of the chaos to pull back two tries courtesy of Adam Jones, who claimed a hat-trick. Both were converted to give a final score of 42-24.

Lewis Straw took the committee/supporters man of the match award with a try and a 100% kicking record. Jack Howdle’s numerous carries of the ball all afternoon steadied the ship for the home side and managed to get him visiting team’s vote for the man of the match.

The first team are next in action at home to Batley Boy on May 13th but this Saturday Beverley ‘A’ are at home to Heworth ‘A’ kick off 2.30pm.

Final Score : Beverley ARLC 42 Doncaster Toll Bar 24 | Reported By Nick Robinson

More From

Click Here
Daisy Appeal Urges Supporters To Take To The Roads For Virtual Events


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *