Beverley’s Colts Continue To Win As They Beat Scunthorpe


travelled to Scunthorpe for their fourth away trip in five. Travelling in foggy conditions they arrived at the ground to see that the grass was sodden from the fog and knew that handling would be difficult

This proved to be so as Beverley fumbled the first kick off of the match gifting possession to Scunthorpe; who made this tell with sustained forward pressure quickly resulting in a try. An excellent kick saw this converted (7/0)

A sustained period of play from Beverley took them close to the Scunthorpe line and in trade make style Hart Fisher was handed the ball and crashed past several players to go over. The conversion was missed (7/5)

Beverley were soon under pressure again giving away a needless penalty which was also effortlessly
kicked to take the score to (10/5)

Beverley again took the ball forward. The pattern of the game soon becoming set with Beverley getting the ball wide and fast whilst Scunthorpe taking the ball up through a serious of driving mauls. Using there very large forwards to good effect.

Hart Fisher again went crashing through and over for his second try and his seventh of the season. Again this went unconverted (10/10)

Scunthorpe were awarded a lineout and with a great throw and a well worked move were marching forward to Beverleys line. They went crashing over and the score was (15/10) the conversion being missed.

Scunthorpe buoyed by their large crowd were now playing the game of the season for them. Beverley were rattled and further forward pressure lead to yet another Scunthorpe try. This time converted (22/10)

The halftime whistle came and Beverley were left wondering where they would go from there.
Thankfully it was up! After the half Beverley stopped trying to run everything out and started to turn the big Scunthorpe forwards around with some well-aimed kicks.

A serious of superb breaks first saw Chris Chapman (22/15) followed by Jake Marin go over in the corner (22/20). Unfortunately both conversions hit the crossbar and bounced out. With about 20 to go both sets of fans and coaches were clenching for England.

Scunthorpe mounted another attack through their forwards and then spun the ball along the line to barge over in the corner. The conversion was missed (27/20) Things were looking bleak for Beverley but befitting of the league leaders status, they never gave up. The forwards taking the ball forward at the tiring Scunthorpe forwards tying in the loose players allowing space along the backs. In a very quick movement from the half way line the ball ended up with who ghosted into the corner. The crucial conversion again missed from far out wide (27/25).

With four minutes to go Beverley really got into their stride. They went through the phases forwards pushing very hard and retaining some excellent ball. Twenty-two out the ball came to Jockey Holmes who jinked once, twice and was in the clear. He raced to the line and at last put the ball down under the posts. Converting his own kick; for the first time in the game Beverley were in the lead (27/32)
The game was restarted with Beverley catching cleanly at last.

The forwards took the ball up well and this resulted in a penalty to Beverley for handling in the ruck by Scunthorpe. The ball was kicked out. Time was off and Beverley raised their arms in delight mightily relieved that they had beaten a determined opposition.

Final Score: Scunthorpe 27 Colts 32

More From

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *