Tom Beautiman Cup Final Abandoned After Player Suffers Serious Leg Fracture

Tom Beautiman Cup Final Abandoned After Player Suffers Treble Leg Fracture

A packed stand, and spectators gathered around the perimeter of the ground greeted Beverley and A in , but it was day that was to end badly for the blue and golds.

A great afternoon’s entertainment to blow away the holiday cobwebs looked in store. However, the events were marred on 55 minutes. Beverley were on the attack and just starting to find their feet in the game when Adam Robson broke free down the left flank.

Robson evaded several cover defenders and as the last one approached he got an inside pass away which hit the ground but was kicked ahead by Bobby Howdle, who run the race to the line to score.

Robson landed awkwardly in the tackle and had clearly suffered a serious injury judging by his pain and distress. The emergency services took over an hour to get to the scene. Fortunately the club had no shortage of expertise at the match to keep the injured player stable.

His mother- a doctor, physios Kym Cooper and Duncan O’Connor were all able to deal with a worrying situation in falling temperatures and fading light. When Adam Robson was finally taken to the hospital over two hours later, he was later diagnosed with a treble fracture of the leg.

It is a real blow to Robson and the club as he had been a standout performer since joining the club at the start of the season. He was the joint leading try scorer alongside and Glen Anfield.

The match itself saw Beverley well below par for 50 minutes of the match. They seemingly relied upon far too much dummy half and one out running.

Dockers defence looked well on top with very few chinks. looked to be Beverley’s most dangerous player going forward. Four tries were scored by Dockers. Two before half time and two just after the break as Beverley had to defend a number of repeat sets.

Preparation could not have been better for this final with a full squad to select from with only unavailable due to a holiday. It seemed that Beverley’s normal fluent attacking style on this occasion had been inhibited.

With no prospect of play, resuming the game was abandoned. It is likely that the that the two sides will have to do it all again, as the BARLA rule book states that if less than three-quarters of a match have elapsed when the game is abandoned it may be ordered to be replayed.   awaits a decision on this by the Hull & District Management Committee.

In the meantime, they will return to league action this Saturday with a home fixture against . Kick ofF is 2pm at the .

Reported by

More From .net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *