An amazing number of people from the region, the country, and indeed all over the world, wrote to us, to East Riding of Yorkshire Council, and to websites, newspapers, radio and television, wanting the setts to stay, relaid with good joints, to last for another hundred years or so.
We are very grateful to everyone who took the trouble to express their views, through the busy days of Christmas, New Year, blizzards and now floods. Over 2000 people signed the Save Our Setts petition. The Council listened to ‘the street’, and the setts are safe.
The officers have also promised to keep all the historic materials, such as the cobbles now under tarmac, and the York stone kerbs, so that they can be reused.
The campaign showed us the amazing power of the media, particularly electronic media such as HU17.net where information is ‘out there’ almost before it has happened.
We hope discussions with the Council in future, should the need arise, may be earlier and easier.
- Primary Schools Will Open In East Yorkshire Next Month
- Sport England Grant Welcomed By Local Rugby League Club
- Casting A Wide Net – The Story Of A Shipbuilding Giant Goes Online
- Carluccio’s Beverley Among 30 To Be Saved By New Owners
- Council Offers Further Advice To Visitors This Bank Holiday Weekend